Customer Service Apprentice (Business Support Children's Services Team)
Location: Buckinghamshire, County Wide
We’re looking for an ambitious, enthusiastic individual with a good attention for detail to join our Business Support teams within Children’s Services. You’ll combine work-based training along with achieving an Intermediate/Advanced qualification in Customer Service Level 2.
Working for one of the largest employers in the County, you will gain dynamic admin skills as well as experience of working in a supportive, diverse office environment.
Our apprenticeships are designed to give you the hands-on experience needed in a real job that brings out the best in you, with real responsibilities, real challenges, real projects and scope to grow your career.
We have a team of 18 that are supportive and diverse with a great can do attitude. Nothing is too much and everyone is driven to support Children’s Services in the best way they can. You will be able to grow and develop in an environment where no two days are the same.
About the role
In this role you’ll contribute to the work of Children’s Services and study to achieve the Level 2 Customer Service apprenticeship throughout the duration of your time with us. We’ll give you time during your working week for study and assessments- which means no evening or weekend study is required!
You will work towards being able to undertake the range of duties listed below:
- Provide admin and clerical assistance
- To assist with the input of data for a variety of purposes
- Maintain and retrieve information as requested
- Monitor and action group email mailbox
- Send out group emails and texts adhering to our data protection policy
- Assist with stationery and equipment orders as requested
- Able to organise own work and achieve deadlines
- Understanding of general administrative procedures
- Microsoft Office skills (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook)
- Good IT skills and the ability to use database
- Able to communicate well verbally and in writing
- Able to use initiative and work independently
- Good attention to detail
- Good standard of written work with accurate spelling and grammar
- Comfortable working as part of a team and playing an active role
- Able to get on well with a range of people
- Real ambition to develop your skills and experience
- Enthusiastic, dynamic and forward thinking
- Willingness to learn and to undertake a range of different tasks as required
For Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship - Qualified to Level 1 or above in Literacy and Numeracy (GCSE grades A*-G/9-1 or equivalent).
For Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship - Qualified to Level 1 or above in Literacy and Numeracy (GCSE grades A* - C/9-4 or equivalent), or Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship Qualification.
Please note: You will not be eligible for this post if you have a Degree in the same subject as this apprenticeship, or other qualifications in the same subject at an equivalent level.
Location: Walton Street, Aylesbury and Queen Victoria Road, High Wycombe
Advert closing date: 10th March 2024
Interviews to be held week commencing 25th March 2024
Duration of Apprenticeship: Our apprenticeship roles are on a fixed term contract for the duration of the apprenticeship. Level 2 is usually for about 15 months; Level 3 is usually for about 18 months.
Your initial apprentice salary will be £10,186.62 p.a for your first year and will go up to National Minimum Wage if you are 19+ when you start the 2nd year of your apprenticeship. All your training will be funded by us. As well as the salary, our apprentices are eligible to:
- Paid holiday package
- Join our generous Pension scheme
- Get 50% off Arriva bus travel
- Receive a range of restaurant, shop & gym discounts through our Employee Benefits scheme
- Apply for a TOTEM Card (formerly called the NUS Extra card)
Reality Check: This is a full time position working a 37 hour week Monday to Friday.
Our apprenticeship roles are on a fixed term contract for the duration of the apprenticeship. Level 2 is usually for about 15 months; Level 3 is usually for about 18 months.
Contact: Martyn Greenstreet Tel: 01296 383616 or [email protected]
Future Prospects: We cannot guarantee a permanent position following completion of the apprenticeship, however this is a great opportunity to develop transferrable business service skills.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy once we have received sufficient applications, so please be advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Our values and culture
We have a set of values, which our employees have chosen, that represent what we are – Proud, Ambitious, Collaborative and Trustworthy.
By joining Buckinghamshire Council, you can expect:
- a fair and inclusive culture
- the chance to really make a difference to those around you
- health and well-being initiatives including an Employee Assistance Programme, Mental Health First Aiders and mindfulness workshops
- a unified voice through our Employee Representative Group
- ongoing support, and the opportunity to develop and progress in your career with us
- opportunities to take part in fun activities such as fundraising and social events
At Buckinghamshire Council, we know that our biggest strength comes from the people that work for us, and that’s why we’re working hard to ensure we continue to be an accessible and inclusive organisation.
From dedicated staff networks overseen by our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Steering Group, to proudly standing as a Disability Confident employer, it’s important to us that all our colleagues feel engaged, listened to, and valued. Our offer of flexible working empowers a productive and happy workforce and allows employees to combine work with other responsibilities and commitments.
We believe our workforce should reflect the diverse communities we service in Buckinghamshire, and are looking for like-minded individuals to join us in promoting equality, fairness, and inclusion for everyone.
About the Business Unit
Resources cover a wide range of specialisms, including Human Resources, Finance, ICT and Business Operations. Our main focus is supporting the other directorates to provide the best possible service to our residents. To do that, we have to make sure we have the right people in the right roles across the organisation. From our finance teams, working strategically to ensure the best value from public money; to HR keeping our employees healthy and happy, each service is vital in making sure Buckinghamshire Council has what it needs to run effectively and efficiently.
As well as providing high quality services to other areas of the Council, you could also be helping us build on the revenue which comes from our external clients. If you are ambitious, customer-focussed and bursting with new ideas, we want to hear from you.
We recognise and reward you
Hard work and success deserves recognition. That’s why we pride ourselves on the benefits we give our people. We actively encourage a good work-life balance and promote flexible and agile working arrangements. We provide discounts on various Cafés, restaurants, shops and auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme. We also offer a salary sacrifice personal car lease scheme to those who are eligible and have passed their probation period. In addition to the opportunity to gain membership to Costco, we have discounted gym memberships, travel discounts with Arriva and much more.